Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Devil comes to lie, cheat, steal, and........distract?

If you have a minuet get distracted. I must begin by confessing that I struggle with distraction. This disease, if I can be so harsh to call it, has recently infected my being. According to my Mac dictionary distraction is defined as this, "a thing that prevents someone from giving full attention to something else." Upon reading this I decided to ask myself the obvious question...what am I getting distracted from? It is easy to know when and what is distracting me, but to be distracted you must have a "something else" to be taken away from. What is your "something else?" On a small scale it is easy to identify. Maybe the facebook is taking your attention away from homework. But on a large scale, on a life sized scale, it may not be so easy to identify. How many times in our lives to we find ourselves, and others, asking, "what is God purpose/plan for my life?" I would suggest to you that the reason we are so often asking this questions is because something is taking our full attention away from it. You see the Devil does not need to remove God's plan from our lives. He only needs to simply take way our attention...our focus. How many times in our lives are we living in the distraction the Devil has dangled in front of us? Are you living in it right now?

If one of the many definitions of sin is, "missing the mark" is it possible to declare distraction as a sin? Are the distractions the Devil uses causing you to miss your mark? Let us all not be so naive towards what I believe to be one of the Devil's most powerful tools. So if you feel that you are being distracted ask yourself what you are being distraction from. Focus your attention back to your something else.



peace + love = jesus

1 comment:

  1. So true, Ry. I can definitely pinpoint times in my life when I've been so caught up in other things and been so distracted that I've completely ignored the things that God's been trying to show me. It's so easy to focus on other things, so I guess I just need to try harder to keep my focus on God and His plan for my life.
    Great post, Ryan! Love your blog, keep writing!

    ReplyDelete